In Loving Memory



Abigail's Great-Grandpa (my Grandpa Abe) passed away early Saturday morning. He was 101 years old. He loved the Lord, and was ready and eager to meet Jesus. He was greatly loved and will be greatly missed. I want to tell you all about him, because he was an incredible man. I don't think I have the words to say what I would want, so here's a letter I wrote to him a few days ago that says a little of what I loved about him and what he means to me.

Dear Grandpa,
I have been wanting to write you a letter and send you our love. I have been slow in doing it because I don’t know what to say. I guess I don’t have any eloquent words for you, but I want you to know that we love you very much and are thinking of you.
I am very glad that Abigail and I got to have a nice visit with you when we were in Oregon in March. She is growing so fast, she’s already changed a lot since then. She will turn one year old next week. She is very active – I stay busy chasing her! She loves walking and exploring new things. I won’t be surprised if she walks a lot throughout her life, like you have done. Maybe when she’s 90 years old she’ll be walking up the hill to Mt. Angel Abbey. The weather is getting nicer here, so she likes playing outside, and especially loves visiting the neighbor’s dog. She loves animals and music. She even dances when the phone rings! She brings so much joy to our lives, we are so blessed.
Grandpa, you have brought a lot of joy to my life, too. I will always remember our wonderful visits. My childhood was very uniquely impacted by all the adventures we had at the house in LaGrange. I loved going out in the rowboat with you, feeding the chickens, exploring the Dredge Camp, and playing in the big yard. I love hearing stories about the fun/funny/crazy things that you have done throughout your long and full life. You have inspired me to love God’s beautiful creation, to value my education, and to keep a sense of humor through everything. I am so grateful that God chose to place me in this family – Your family – My family. Thank you for establishing our family as a household of Faith in Jesus. That, above all, is your legacy in us. You desire the praise of God above the praises of men, and you have run the race well. Thank you for setting a faithful example.
I love the way you always give me good, strong, long hugs, and I wish I could be there to give you a big hug and a kiss right now. But since I’m here and you’re there, my heart will just have to hug yours across the miles. I love you very much, Grandpa.
Love Sarah, and Aaron and Abigail

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Blog Archive